ElkarBackup: GUI Based backup Tools based on Rsync and Rsnapshot
For those who don’t know what is rsync and its capabilities. Please refer to the following article for a detailed explanation.
What is ElkarBackup?
ElkarBackup is a free open-source software (under the terms of GPL V3) and it’s based on other open-source technologies:
ElkarBackup has the following features:
- Centralized backups.
- Backup of GNU/Linux and Windows computers.
- Minimal disk usage because of the use of hardlinks, but having the option to recover the whole backup with a mouse click.
- Easy-to-use and multilingual web interface.
- Instant recovery
Please follow the instruction below for installing the ElkarBackup:
Installation on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
- Install these recommended packages:
sudo apt install debconf php php-cli rsnapshot apache2 mysql-server php-mysql acl bzip2 php-xml libapache2-mod-php libssh2-1 gpg
- Add package repository key:
wget -O - http://elkarbackup.org/apt/archive.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
- Add elkarbackup repositories:
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://elkarbackup.org/apt/ubuntu focal main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/elkarbackup.list'
Update the index files:
sudo apt update
- Install Elkarbackup:
sudo apt install elkarbackup
Add the Client
- Download the elkarbackup machine pub key (Setting > Manage Parameter > Download Public key) and place it on the client host
In our example:
- Name: VM_LAB
- URL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SSH args: -p9922
Add the job
In this scenario, we want to backup folder on
/home/project/backuptestdirelkar on machine 18.104.22.168
- Add job button (+)
- We will receive a self-documented form where it is explained which data we have to fill. In our example, we will change only these fields:
- Name: Backup Directory
- Path: /home/project/backuptestdirelkar
- Description: Backup test dir location
- Policy: Default Policy
- Click save on the setting
Run the backup job
- Initiate the backup job by clicking the Enqueue now button on the previous job we create
Monitor the backup status
Debug results of the job can be inspected in the Logs tab from the ElkarBackup admin panel.
By default, the backup location is saved on the following path
You can inspect the folder content to check if the backups are there.
To sum up Elkarbackup is a free open-source software under the terms of GPLV3 and is based on other open-source technologies such as RSnapshot, Rsync, PHP, and Symfoni. It main function is to provide easy to configure and powerful open-source backup solution. Further more, the installation of Elkarbackup is simple, you just need to follow the easy steps above. Hope you find this article helpful